Thursday, October 12, 2017

Anaphylaxis Again

At a convenience store, I saw a watermelon drink in a can. I bought it, because watermelon juice is hard to find and a mess to make.
I sat in my car for a while sipping on it, taking a break, and when I was almost finished I could hear my breath sounding like a whistle. I was slightly wheezing, and when I looked down at my forearms, there were 5-7 hives on each arm. I looked at the can and realized what I missed- it said "made with coconut water". I'm allergic to coconut oil, but I didn't think "coconut water" would be as strong. Luckily, I keep Benadryl in my car console, and immediately popped three of them. I leaned my head back, because I wasn't about to start driving on three Benadryls. I think I fell asleep for about 20 minutes, and the moment I woke up, the wheezing and hives were gone.
A lot of people have nut allergies, but a coconut allergy is very, very rare. I guess I'm one in a million. It was never discovered in my childhood, because I never really liked the taste and texture of it. Then the coconut oil craze came along, and I fell for the health benefits quickly. Apparently, the world's cure all can actually kill me. (It's not a cure all, but some people think it is).
Danielle, please read labels next time. Sheesh.

No comments:

Post a Comment