Friday, September 29, 2017

Memory Jogged

When I was a kid, there was this "mean girl" named Kristen who constantly tainted me and my entire group of friends. One day on the bus, she was picking on my friend Nikki for being overweight. I had whined to my mom a few times about Kristen, but I went home that day slightly perturbed saying, "Kristen called Nicki fat!"  My mother responded, "Listen. The next time Kristen ever says anything to you girls again, you tell her that your mother sees her mother going out jogging every morning wearing nothing but a bra, panties, and pantyhose."

I was like... what?  How did she know this? Now I know. Moms get up before anyone else does. That must have been how my mother witnessed this while no one else did. 

I kept it in the back of my mind for the next incident. It was inevitable. So I stood up on the bus, faced Kristen with boldness and said, "Well my mom says that she sees your mom jogs outside every morning wearing only a bra and panties and pantyhose!"  Immediately, she started crying like a baby. Her toughness went away quickly, and she sobbed and sobbed. I didn't know whether to feel bad or not. Obviously, Kristen knew her mom did this and was humiliated. Good news is that she was never mean to anyone again. 

Lesson learned: Don't make it a habit of going outdoors in your underwear. You'll humiliate your kids. 

No comments:

Post a Comment