Wednesday, September 6, 2017

DACA- My uncle would have been a dreamer

My grandparents' first child was 1 year old when they brought him here to the USA from Greece.  Three years later, he died from an unknown cause.  He would have been about 19 or 20 when my mother was born, which would make him in his 90's now.  He would have been a dreamer, and I reminded my mom of that.  If my grandfather saw this country now, he'd roll in his grave.  He thought it was the best country in the world.
My mom used to be one to say, "This is America, speak English" until it became news that people speaking Greek in public and were harassed and told the same thing.  My mother speaks Greek in public all the time.  She has not made such a comment since.  We are all from somewhere else, unless you spit in that ancestry DNA tube and it comes back 100% Native American.

No comments:

Post a Comment