Thursday, August 3, 2017

Out of the mouths of babes

Annalise's favorite book series is Wings of Fire.  Book number 10 FINALLY came out on July 24th.  It arrived at our house on the 29th.

Anna was so excited to finally get it.  She said to me, "Mama, do you know how OLD this series is?"

"How old?" I asked.

"She started writing it in 2011!"

Oh, well that is quite ancient when you are 10 years old in 2017, isn't it?

Annalise also likes to draw dragons.  Each has minor different features and colors, and they are all related.  She wants to make them into a book such as these.  A few weeks ago, she came to me with a pretty extensive family tree of all of the dragons she created.  They were lovely, and I told her so, but I also told her, "When you are writing, you don't want to create too many characters, because it will confuse the reader."

She gave me the same exact look her father gives when he comes up with a comeback immediately.  "Mama?" she retorted.  "How far have you gotten in your book?"

Oh, Touche, kid.  Touche.  I was on a writing spurt a few months back, but the muses have left again.

We've also been planning Halloween already.  We didn't celebrate last year because of Evan's death and how the death representations everywhere were triggering.  This year, I'm over that, and we're having a great one.  When Annalise and I both took our ancestry DNA tests, she came back part Scandinavian and I did not (so it came from her dad).  She told me that she wants to honor the Viking side of her ancestry and be a Valkyrie for Halloween.  I was really excited and impressed, and we picked out this hat together.  I didn't order it yet, because we all know how kids change their minds.

4 comments:

  1. A Valkyrie is an amazing costume idea. Badass women respected everywhere! Your daughter is a girlboss in the making! Glad to see that she loves reading! reading is so great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. That is beautiful that your daughter has a love for reading at a early age!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jay. Where's your blog? It's motivational, right?

      Delete
  3. This sounds like a great book. I hope your daughter enjoys it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete