Monday, July 24, 2017

They go in threes

First, there was the news that the lead singer of the band Linkin Park, Chester Bennington, had taken his own life.  I've been a fan of Linkin Park for years.  I went through a phase a few years back when I constantly listened to the song "What I've Done".  Now that he's gone, the phase is back.



My daughter and I had been following a 10 year old girl with brain cancer on social media (also named Anna).  She lost her battle with her inoperable tumor on the same day.  She was an enormous fighter.  Anna Ortega was at Phoenix Children's Hospital and her wish for this Christmas was to send gift baskets to all of the children there.  She thought she'd be well again.  To help with that endeavor see here.  Also, consider helping the Ortega family in general.  They have 6 other children and most likely a ton of medical bills.



Later that evening, my childhood friend lost her grandfather.  I texted her that morning to see how she was and she said she was simply not ok.  It was her turn to sit with him, and he had been "cursing" at her all morning.  I asked, "Is he on Morphine?"  She replied, "Yes".  I explained that it does that to some and to tell his hospice nurse.  She and I attended the same Baptist Christian school that constantly made you question your own salvation.  You'd go on this roller coaster- Now I'm a Christian, now I'm not.  I'm over it, but she isn't.  She's also inadvertently passing the identity crisis to her children.  I texted her a loving message saying how sorry I was for her loss, how thankful I was that God granted him a long life (95 years), quoted scripture about God satisfying us with long life, and reassured her that when he was "cursing" at her, that it was not him speaking.  It was dementia and/or morphine.  She said thank you and we exchanged I love yous.  I didn't want her thinking that his foul language was proof that he "wasn't really Christian" and went to hell, because that is what we were raised to beleive.  





No comments:

Post a Comment